Thursday 2 September 2010

Returning Designer Anya Wilkinson





Russian born British designer Anya Wilkinson will be one to watch out for this September when she showcases her latest Spring/Summer 2011 Collection on London Fashion Week. Based in a studio off Kingsland Road in London, she has achieved great success since graduating from London College of Fashion in 2009, with her graduation collection receiving such high praise it went on to be exhibited at www.schway.net.
Following on from this, Anya’s Autumn/Winter collection was showcased at the Fashion Mavericks event in February, featuring a range of day and cocktail dresses which were met by tailored jackets and stylish coats in which she layered rich, deep colours using strong textures.  However, Anya’s latest collection is set to portray a very different image, as she explained to me prior to its showcase on London Fashion Week.  As I spoke with the designer I began to find out more not only about her up and coming collection and the inspiration behind it, but also what goes on in her head when she is creating each beautiful masterpiece.


Can you tell me a little bit about what you will be showcasing on London Fashion Week this September ?
I will be showing my Spring/Summer 2011 Collection which is greatly inspired by my Russian roots. I believe it is a very good collection and much more creative than my last. I feel that I used too many colours in my last collection so with this collection there is much less diversity in the range of colours used. This time the colours are very gentle and beautiful, using a lot of pastel pinks and beige and the collection is made using mainly cotton.

What goes through your head when you are creating a design?
There is so much inspiration going through my head all at once, which makes it very difficult to focus on one idea at a time. Whilst creating one piece, I am already planning out my next design. Therefore, I am constantly designing and sketching all the time as I have so many different ideas all at once!

What would you say is your greatest achievement?
I think I still have so many achievements yet to come. It is always amazing to see my work in magazines and last year I was interviewed for the October issue of Tatler magazine. However, as I said I feel I have so many things left to achieve.


What advice would you give to anyone aiming for a career in fashion?
I think the main important things are total focus and connections. It is not only important that you create a collection but that you make sure you communicate with people and ensure to make contacts along the way to draw upon.  You have to be confident and believe in yourself and if something goes wrong you have to make sure you pick yourself up and persevere.

What music, if any, do you listen to whilst you are designing?
At the moment I listen to a lot of classical music. Currently I am listening to the ‘101 Instrument Orchestra’. I find that classical music helps me to relax and focus whereas fast music seems to get me all wound up. However, I do like to listen to Russian radio every now and then too!

If you could dress any one person in the world who would it be and why?
Probably Madonna, I have such a great love for her and I think she is amazing! But also I think Cheryl Cole. She has exactly the right face for my dresses and I feel that my designs go well with her feminine style.

Why did you decide to showcase with Fashion Mavericks?
My first reason would have to be that I love the location. I showcased at the event earlier this year and I had so many good reviews. It allowed me to make lots of really great connections and meet some amazing people! I really hope to meet some more interesting people this time round!

With a beautiful collection from London Fashion Week in February to follow on from; it will be intriguing to see what is next from this designer and her Spring/Summer collection will be an un-missable event on Fashion Week this September. 

No comments:

Post a Comment